Mangroves of Langkawi

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Introduction




Mangrove swamps are areas of transition between land and sea occuring in the tropical and subtropical region. This area is inhabited by plants that has been created by Allah the almighty with a special ability to handle the wide range in salinity of the water; ability to adapt to the low oxygen levels in the muddy floor of the area.

These adaptation paints a beautiful picture of the plant life of the mangrove.

As a child I have never like the mangove swamp because they were to me so monotonous to my eyes and the murky waters together with its stench was intolerable to my nose. As my father drove through the swampy areas of Butterworth en-route to Penang we would all close our noses because of the stench and try not to take deep breaths.

Today, I find myself very facinated by the flora of the mangroves and the interesting animal life that inhabit this space that lies between the land and sea.

I will be putting up my work on the mangroves of Langkawi on my website, The flora of Langkawi as and when I finish my study of a particular plant. This blog will be my diary of work and whenever I go out to explore a particular area of I shall post my findings here for comments and correction from readers.

For those interested in mangroves and has stumbled on this blog, thank you for spending sometime reading my blog and do come back to see more postings on this.

Thank you

Tok Dukun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home